Florida Challenge Triathlon Countdown Clock

Friday, June 10, 2011

Almost Home

Well, The Day is just about here! Right now, I feel like I've gotten on a roller coaster: I'm strapped in and we're slowly going up the incline for that first huge drop. It seems like it takes FOREVER to make it to the top, and in that brief moment of time you get really nervous, anxious, and downright scared!

That's how I feel right now!

Part of my nervousness is the fact that I didn't get to train as much as I would've liked for various reasons. But that's life. In many aspects of our lives that happens. We just get really busy and can't do everything we set out to do any given day. Even though I'm not as prepared as I'd like, I'm still ready to go. I won't go for a personal best this time. It'll all be about just finishing!

Last weekend I did a 3 hour bike ride on Saturday, followed with a 10 mile run on Sunday. Those 2 training sessions were GREAT for me and my confidence. I've said this a million times: These races are just as mental as they are physical. It takes a lot of mental toughness to push yourself when you think you're at your limits...

In addition to those training sessions, I swam on Thursday for the 1st time in about 2 weeks. I HAD to swim, so I went to Seaworld: It's really the pool at Bally's, but it feels like Seaworld because everybody can see the pool while you swim, and it feels like I'm on display like I'm at Seaworld or something...lol



I wrote a blog about this pool a while ago. Click >HERE< to read more about it...lol

All in all, I had a good swim. I did my normal routine, which was to swim for 60 minutes total, with 35 minutes of non-stop forward crawl at a moderate pace. With that said, I did have some good, quality workouts. The key now is to put it all together. That's where I'm lacking...

Anyway, there's not much more I can do now but brace myself for this wild roller coaster ride! lol

So here I am the day before, getting everything together. I have all my gear packed and ready, and here's my "food" for the race:



People are surprised that we eat during the races. Not really sure why, but I think people believe you'll get sick if you eat while working out? Maybe you will (if you eat a Bic Mac & fries, lol) but the stuff above is designed to be eaten before during, or after workouts.

The electrolytes will help prevent/minimize cramping on the bike & run, the Clif Bars will keep me from starving/bonking, the GU is for energy, and the Gatorade & water (not shown) will keep me hydrated.

The weather tomorrow will be interesting. The forecast is for showers, with a high of 95 and a low of 73. I hope it DOES rain while I'm running, because that'll keep me cool. Running in the Flawda heat & humidity is NO JOKE!

My race plan is pretty simple: race MY race. I won't worry about those around me, I'll just focus on how I'm feeling and try keep an even tempo the entire day.

On the swim I'll take my time and conserve as much energy as possible. Total 1.2 mile swim time: 45 minutes.

The bike will be interesting because of those hills. I weighed in last night at 210 pounds. The heavier a person is, the more difficult it is to ride over hills. I plan on spinning an easy gear yet keeping up a good pace. I'll ride up the hills an easy tempo, as if I'm riding the bridges in Clearwater.

People think of Florida as being flat, but this part of Florida has hills. BIG HILLS! This here is Sugarloaf Mtn. We hit this bad boy around mile 30 of the bike:



Pics don't do this monster any justice! lol



With that said, my goal is to complete the 56 mile bike in 3-3.5 hours.

The run will be the x factor. I liken my races to gas in a car. I start the swim with a full tank. I'm slightly past 3/4 full when I start the bike, and by the time I finish the bike I'm at about 1/2 tank. On the run is when I start to really burn gas! lol I'm usually good till mile 7 or so, but at mile 8, that yellow light comes on and I need fuel! My energy level starts to decrease and I start to struggle.

This all comes down to training, conditioning, and pacing. I think I try go too hard on the bike, or maybe I start out too fast on the run? Either way, that's something I have to work on, because this is where I have the most problems and lose the most time. Tomorrow I'll see what I can do to rectify that!

My goal is to finish the run between 2.5 - 3 hours, thus having a finish time around 7 hours or so. This doesn't count the time it takes in the transition areas (starting the bike & starting the run) however, so I might have to add a couple minutes to my finish time.

I'm also wearing this 1 piece suit because this will help minimize how much time I spend in the transition areas:




This is pure speculation of course, but at the end of the day, I just want to finish! It's all about starting something and finishing it at this point. I'd like a "fast' time, but if it doesn't happen I'll be happy with whatever time I get. These races aren't easy AT ALL. I'll just be happy being able to complete it.

How will I do?? I really don't know, but I do know that no matter what happens, I'm going to keep smiling and give it 110%!



Let's do this!

Stay tuned! Till next time, peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment