Florida Challenge Triathlon Countdown Clock

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Unconscious Incompetents

Unconscious Incompetents

There are 2 types of people in the world: 


Conscious Incompetents
and

 UNconscious Incompetents
 

The Conscious Incompetent knows they don't know, so they stay open minded and are always striving to learn new things.

The Unconscious Incompetent doesn't know they don't know. They think they know everything already, so they just go thru life missing out on opportunities to better themselves.

I know for a fact there's a lot I don't know: I could learn more about nutrition, different training methods, etc.  Hell, there's a lot about LIFE I don't know. As a result, I'm always on the hunt for some new ideas or training methods that will help me improve as a triathlete and as a person in general. 

One of my fav shows is 
Insider Training on Fit Tv. This show interviews athletes in various sports and shows them train.

One episode (that came on about 2 years ago) changed my way of thinking featured Pro football players John Lynch and Juniour Seau. These guys are future Hall of Famers who are the ultimate professionals.

Junior played an amazing 19 years in the NFL. 19 years!!! 



So when they showed his training methods I took note.

In addition to the basics (lifting weights, running, football drills, etc.) he did something I never would've expected: yoga!

Both football players SWORE by it. They talked about how it helped them work all their muscles, create muscle balance, and prevent injury. They were shown doing various yoga, Pilate, and other  exercises with  people of all ages in a class  and were really into it. 

Now if THEY can do yoga, then dammit I can too! Lol

Before I saw this show, I thought yoga was for women exclusively. But that's what being an Unconscious Imcompetent will do for you. I  had to change my thought process and give it a try. 

Let me say that yoga is no joke! I've been doing it a couple years now and I still do basic exercises. Some of the moves are quite advanced, but I do feel a difference since I started doing them. My flexibility has increased, and even though my right side is still my dominant side, I so feel my left getting stronger and more balanced.

Tonight after work I did some yoga, and here are some of my yoga moves:







It ain't pretty, and I won't be leading any yoga classes any time soon, but I'm doing it! Lol





The yoga has been great for my back, shoulders, thighs, hamstrings, etc. All the muscles I use swimming, biking, and running have benefitted. Yes, I have my nagging injuries, but I think without the yoga I'd have even more.





My form is far from perfect (obviously! Lol) but I feel great after a 30 minute session. It's very relaxing mentally and physically.



Since I know there's a lot I don't know, I'm always on the lookout for ideas that'll help me take it to the next level. 



Yoga has become a very important part of my training regimine. I think everyone should at least give it a try. I can't imagine not doing it.

Tomorrow I'm going to the pool. My shoulder feels fine and  I'm ready! Saturday I'm doing a "brick," 1 of the hardest workouts I can do, but I'll be ready!

Thanks for reading! Namaste!  

No comments:

Post a Comment