Florida Challenge Triathlon Countdown Clock

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Body Language

Body Language

In the 15 years I've done triathlons, i've never had a serious injury. But I've had plenty aches and pains. When I was younger I was able to shrug them off, but the older I get, the more I have to take care of them and make sure they don't become a serious issue.

All my injuries have come from overtraining. I'd push myself too hard without enough recovery time between workouts.

I've had issues with:
Both knees - running 
Right achilles heel -running 
Left calf - running
Right wrist & elbow - weights
Right shoulder - swimming 

These have occured over the years and thankfully never at the same time! Lol

It has taken me years to realize that as much as I want to train, I have to listen to my body and make sure I'm recovered from my last workout.  If I'm not, the most I should do is a lower intensity training session.

The beauty of this sport is if I have some pain in 1 area, I can usually cross train in something else without skipping a beat.

In December, I had the sore calf and couldn't run for about a month.  But I was still able to walk and  ride the bike no prob and swim. 

Now for the last 6 weeks i've been hitting the pool pretty hard. On top of that, i've been hitting the weights pretty hard too,  (even though I know I'm supposed to back off the intensity a bit.)  This is important, cuz my shoulders are getting a double workout.

I had 1 hour swim sessions on Monday & wednesday this week, and lifted weights tonight doing my usual routine:

Dumbells presses
Standing lateral raises
Barbell bent rows
Shoulder presses
Standing barbell curls
Tricep extensions
Planks, crunches, leg raises etc.

I felt fine all thru my workout until I got home and started to relax. I feel a twinge on my right shoulder as I type this.  This is the same shoulder I had issues with 2 years ago. It's nothing serious YET, but I know I need to give my shoulders a rest.

I've learned the difference between muscle soreness and an injury. If I don't rest my shoulder, this would turn into something serious.

I don't like taking pain meds. Actually, I don't like taking meds period. I'd rather eat healthy foods and let my body recover on it's own.  I'm not a pro athlete who MUST play on Sunday. I do this for fun, so I can have a more relaxed attitude about it.

And I also know if I try to train thru an injury, my form will be off because I'm trying to protect the injured area, and that could cause another injury! 

With that said, no swimming or weights next week, just rest. No pain meds necessary.  Instead, I will cross-train and do some yoga,  run on the treadmill and ride my on my stationary trainer. I want to be in my best shape come race day, but I also want to be injury free in race day too!

I'm glad this happened now instead of the week before the race. I have plenty time to make my adjustments and make sure I'm 100%.

A week of resting my shoulders will do me some good. I might even take an extra day off from training to just relax.

But that's next week! Lol My shoulder hurts, not my legs! Lol This weekend I'm riding my bike and hitting the bridges. Those hills won't be easy so I have to be ready for them.

Thanks for reading! Till next time, peace!   

No comments:

Post a Comment