Florida Challenge Triathlon Countdown Clock

Monday, March 15, 2010

Attitude Adjustment

Attitude Adjustment

Monday's suck! They gotta be the worst day of the week, well for me at least. Today was extra bad:

Daylight Savings Time (lost an hour of sleep)
Half of my department was out today, so I had to do work I don't normally do.

The whole day was just "off." I got nothing accomplished at work and was just spinning my wheels.

When I got off work and head to the gym,  I'm still wound up, but I'm  trying to calm down.  I get to the gym and get mentally prepared to swim, but I see this guy walking back & forth in the locker room wearing just a towel. 

I try not to pay him any mind, but after the 4th time he walks by I start to get aggravated. Very aggravated! I'm already in a bad mood, i dont ecen LIKE this gym and this mofo ain't helpin me none.

I'm thinking: "WTF! They got gay security guards in here now?? Go sit your a** down somewhere!!"

I apolgize if I offended anybody, but I'm just keeping it real. I'm not politically correct. I'm just writing a blog, not running for the Senate...lol
 
Turns out somebody stole dude's stuff! He put his clothes on a locker and did NOT lock it. I thought people stopped doing that in the '80's, but I guess not.

What does all this have to do with my training? Everything: The mental aspect of training is just as important as the physical. If your mind isn't on your workout you can have a lackluster workout, or even worse, injure yourself. 

So I hit the pool still wound up from the day, and now I'm thinking about how they are stealing stuff in the locker room. I'm glad I have a lock, but it's  still unsettling...

Needless to say, my swim started out VERY badly. My arms felt heavy, like I was holding 5 pound weights in each hand.  I was tired much quicker than normal, and I  really struggled. 

On a positive note, I let my mind wander as I swam (like I always do) after about 25 minutes of doing laps. What I realized is I was upset over things I gave no control over. I wasted an entire day in a bad mood for nothing. Absolutely nothing. 

All that negativity is just wasted energy. It drains you and clouds your judgement. If I was in my right mind, I might have noticed that dude in the locker room was in straight panic mode.  But all I could think about was some bs that really meant nothing in the grand scheme of things...

When I finished my swim he was gone. Don't know how that story ended, but the moral of that story is to lock yo s*#! 

I completed my entire hour long workout on a positive note. I ended up finishing strong and felt good when I was done. 

I have to remember to stop sweating the small stuff, and letting things I can't control bother me. Just another benefit of working out. It helps me clear my mind and get all that stress off me.

Tomorrow's a new day, and it will be a good day. I guarantee it! 

Thanks for reading! Till next time, peace!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment