Florida Challenge Triathlon Countdown Clock

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My First Love

No, I'm not talking about Tanika when I was 17, I'm talking about pumping iron! Lol

I lift year round, while some triathletes lift only in the off season. Truth be told, the time I spend lifting would probably be better spent doing something else, but I simply enjoy it too much to NOT lift.

During the season, I lift slightly less weight, and do just the basic exercises. Not only that, I have to be careful not to damage my shoulders due to all the swimming I'm doing now.

With that said, here I am about to start my workout.  This isn't the best pic in the world, but I wasn't about to get close to the mirror and take a better pic. Not a good look! Lol



here's my routine:

10 minutes of stretching and light jogging

Ab exercises:
50 waist to knee crunches
50 crunches 
50 leg raises
30 "get up situps."
20 hanging leg raises (holding for 2 seconds at top of the leg raise)

Chest:
Dumbell bench presses (90 pound dumbells) 
2 sets, 8-10 reps  

Shoulders
Seated lateral raises (25 pound dumbells)
 2 sets, 8-10 reps  

Back
Barbell bent row (165 pounds)
2 sets, 8-10 reps  

Or seated cable rows (200 pounds)
2 sets, 8-10 reps  

Shoulders
Seated dumbell presses (65 pound dumbells)
2 sets, 8-10 reps  

Biceps
Standing curls w/curl bar (100 pounds)
2 sets, 8-10 reps  

Or
Seated incline dumbell curls (40 pound dumbells)
2 sets, 8-10 reps  

Triceps 
Lying dumbell triceps extensions "skull crudhers" (55 pound dumbells)
2 sets, 8-10 reps  

Repeat ab exercise from beginning of workout 

I don't work my legs anymore because my knees are not 100%.  To supplement,  I walk at least 10 flights of  stairs at work daily. Also, I need to rest them since i ride the bike and run weekly.

I prefer using dumbells because they are easier on my joints than barbells, and I like to work each arm independently. Using dumbells also forces the smaller muscles to work.  Since I'm not trying to get bigger they work fine for me.

This workout is pretty basic and quick. I'm done in about an hour. As much as I like to lift, I wouldn't want to be lifting weights any longer than that.

Time for bed. I will either run on the treadmill tomorrow or ride the indoor trainer. I'll see how I feel tomorrow after work!

Thanks for reading! Till next time, Peace!   

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment