Florida Challenge Triathlon Countdown Clock

Monday, August 30, 2010

Balancing Acts

Training for triathlons is tough! Not only do you have to juggle 3 different sports, but you have to make sure you don't neglect 1 (or 2) in the process. A couple years ago, I had to swim at an outdoor pool, and seeing how Flaw-da is the Lightning Capital of the world AND it rains EVERY SINGLE DAY in the summer, my swimming lagged behind my biking & running...

Then you have to work, and if you work a lot of hours or your job is stressful, your training can suffer because rest is CRUCIAL. If you don't get your rest, there's no way you can perform well...

Seeing how some of my co-workers might read this, let me say I have the BEST job in the whole wide world! (cough)

And last but certainly not least, there's the time you spend with your family. If you get too involved in work & training, etc, your home life will suffer, and an unhappy home is NOT a good thing, training or not!

So, there's the dilema. You MUST find that balance to make sure all aspects of your life are in balance and in order.

And sometimes, that means you have to make sacrifices. Even though my race is less than 2 weeks away, I made a sacrifice. The wife & I went to Orlando for a quick weekend getaway.

Tearing myself away from training is always tough for me cuz I enjoy it so much. It's been a part of my life for so long I don't know what it's like NOT to train. But I must force myself to get away sometimes. Even I need a vacation from training! lol

There's a small problem when I go on vacation. When I go, I leave EVERYTHING behind. I mean everything. I don't think about my job, bills, training, or my diet. Yep, my diet. When I go on vacation, it's party time! lol

Like I said before, my race is in less than 2 weeks. I've been ok with my diet for the last several weeks, but from Friday till yesterday it was as if I didn't know what it meant to eat healthy. I can front & say I eat good all the time, but why lie? lol

It all started Friday with a bacon double cheeseburger from Friendly's then this dee-damn-liscious chocolate brownie sundae for desert:


Then Saturday we went to see "Salt" with Angelina Jolie. GREAT MOVIE! What made it even better was the medium bag of popcorn (with a "dab" of salt) with the extra butter, and medium coke. Excellent! lol

After the movie we walked around & did some shopping. I didn't buy this hat, but now I wish I did:


If a hat don't say "Nike" or Oakland Raiders on it I don't want it! But maybe it's time to switch things up a bit & try get my "Grown & Sexy" on! lol

Then there were the 2 long island iced teas I drank while partying it up at the B.B. King Blues Club at Downtown Disney! It was a GREAT place to eat, dance & hear some good live music. Highly recommended!

The long islands were pretty good too!

Not to be outdone on Sunday, it was all about the all you can eat breakfast buffet at Ponderosa!





Look at all that delicious syrup! If I was at home I woulda licked the plate when I was done, but when in public you gotta act like you got some sense! lol

It was at this point I remembered I have a race coming up, and that I might want to start eating healthy agin. So I tried to repent and eat this crap:



I'd rather have had more sausage dipped in maple syrup, but I had to pull back! lol

All in all, we had a great time. It was really good to get away, and now I feel recharged and ready for reality. That means back to work& back to training!

Today was another vacation day forme. I usually have my long work out on Saturday, but since we were out of town I had my workout today. I went to Flatwoods and rode 49 miles. Here's a quick vid of me starting the ride:


The ride took almost 3 hours and I saw maybe 15 people the entire time.

Seeing how it was a Monday, the place was deserted:


I saw a baby deer, a wild turkey and this turtle:


The 1st 28 miles were good, but the last 21 were kinda tough cuz it was kinda windy. Actually, tougher than I would have liked. I wish I had more time to train, but I can't do anything about that. I just gotta give it my all.

Tomorrow it's back to work, and then back to the pool. Yep, my mini-vacation is over. Balancing Acts are fun. Can't wait for the next Vacation Balance!

Thanks for reading! Till next time, peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment