Florida Challenge Triathlon Countdown Clock

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Pleasure Before Pain!

Pleasure Before Pain!

The adage "pain before pleasure" has been reversed this weekend with a vengeance! Lol

Fridays are my favorite day of the week. It's the start of the weekend and after work I like to go to 1 of my favorite places: Barnes & Nobles! I can sit there for hours and read books and mags.

That's exactly what I was doing last night: reading and relaxing. I was packing up and about to call it a night when I got a call from some friends:

"we're at the Green Iguana 5 minutes from B&N. Come on thru!"

Awwwww dayumm!!!

I also like Friday's because that's the day I hang out with friends. (Saturday nigts are reserved for quality time with the wife.)  In other words, it was party time! Lol

So I'm chillin at Green Iguana sipping on a Long Islsnd having a good time, but in the back of my mind I know i'm gonna be hurting in the morning because I wanted to get up early and run! But that's a long way off so I won't worry about it until then! Lol

Keep the dranks comin!!

I get home and instead if going right to bed I stay up till 2 am doing a whole lotta nothing. Again, I know in gonna pay for it in the morning!

I wake up at 9, then spend an hour talking to the wife. I leave the house at 10 and soon as I step outside the humidity slaps me in the face like I didn't pay my bar tab! WTF! But I did pay it! I knew right then I was in trouble.

What I shouldve done is turn back around and just run on the treadmill for an hour and call it a day, but Saturdays are the only day I can have a long workout. I shouldve woken up earlier. I shouldve gone to bed earlier. Hell, I shouldn't have gone to GI last night, but I have to be Mr. Party Man! Lol

So I had to suck it up and do what I had to do!

I went back to Bayshore to repeat last week's run. Last week was hot, this week was even hotter!! It had to be the hottest day of the year, and starting a run at 10:30 am wasn't helping any.

5 minutes into the run I knew it was gonna be a long day because I was already sweating and felt the heat. At that point I went into survival mode and just wanted to finish the run in 1 piece. There was no cloud cover and a slight breeze, but it was the humidity that made it pure torture!  

By the time I made it to the halfway mark (Ballast Pointe) I was spent. The heat was unreal and I was maybe 5 minutes or so slower than last week. Usually when I get here I go to the bathroom, eat a GU take an electrolyte pill, refill my water bottles and keep going, but today I had to chill in the shade for about 15 minutes before I headed back. It was just that bad.  

Taking pics was the last thing on my mind at this point, but I went on & took a quick pic of Tampa Bay with the downtown skyline in the distance:



 I was standing on the shade and had no intention if getting out for a better pic! sorry! Lol

The run back was just as bad. It was still hot and even though I took the GU and it was helping, I just didn't have "it" today. I wasn't really tired from the run itself or in any pain, I was just suffering from the heat. 

To try keep myself cool, I stopped at many of the water fountains on the way back and topped off my water bottles so I could pour water over my head and on my arms.

Last week, I finished this run in about 1:55. This week I finished in 2:05. That's not counting the 15 minutes I had to relax at the halfway point.  On a positive note, I ran the entire way. It was a slow death march, but I didn't walk any of it, and I'm pleased with that.
 
The heat totally drained me today and it's my fault for getting such a late start. There problem with training is the sacrifices that must be made. I still like to hang out and I still like junk food. But this sport makes you cut a lot of that out. If you don't, you'll have bad days like I did today, your race results could suffer, and your bad diet will be reflected in your race pics for the world to see!

So yeah, I had my pleasure last night, but the pain I had today was a direct result of me trying to be Mr. Party Over Here! Lol

After my 15 minute walk cool down I got my umbrella out the car and grabbed a seat on Bayshore. I was drained from the heat and the umbrella was perfect shade while I ate my clif bar and enjoyed the view:





You never know what you'll see on Bayshore. Last week I saw a large group of stingrays. Today I saw quite a few fish jumping out the water but I wasn't in any condition to get pics of them. But while sitting down I saw a limo I've never seen before and hope to never see again:



Who and why?? Lol

After being blinded and recovering from that sight, I took my shoes off and resumed watching the water:





I sat out there for quite a while to recover. The umbrella was right on time! 

After I got home and ate I took a 3 hour nap. I've never taken a nap that long. Woke up didn't know what day it was! Lol 

 I'm much better now, but I'm still drained. Luckily I didn't hurt myself, but running for 2 hours in that heat was stupid on my part. I'm glad I can, but that'll be my last time running that late. If I'm not out the door by 8am  I'll have to either run on the treadmill or go for a bike ride or swim instead. Eff the bull ish! 

Last month I watched the NFL Combine and hurt my back trying to lift weights like I'm getting ready for the draft. Today, I'm running in the heat like I'm a damn marathon runner from KENYA and it's a miracle I didn't end up on a stretcher with an iv in my arm!  Somebody remind me I'm 40, not 20 cuz I keep forgetting! Lol

I'll probably take a couple days off next week to recover from today's debacle. I learned a valuable lesson today and I don't plan on repeating it any time soon!

Thanks for reading! Till next time, peace!        

No comments:

Post a Comment