Florida Challenge Triathlon Countdown Clock

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet?

After my mistake of running in the blistering heat last week, I decided to take it kinda easy this week. I still worked out, just not as intensely. Today is usually my day for long workouts, but I stayed in the house and hid from the sun like a vampire! Lol  I wasn't dealing with that heat today! 

My focus this week was on lifting weights. I'm still not back to where I was before I hurt my back. I'm close, but not quite there yet!

This is the reason I hate taking layoffs:  the longer you don't workout, it takes FOREVER to regain your fitness.

But sometimes a layoff is needed. In addition to your job, sonetimes you just need a vacation from the hard training to rejuvenate yourself and prevent injury.  So when I DO go on vacation, I get away from work AND working out. You simply have to have a life away from this crazy sport!  Lol

I need to get back up to Chicago. I miss the food, my family, and my Brothers from college, The Federation!


   
Then if you take a little break, it gives you something to look forward to. So when I hurt my back and couldn't lift, I was going crazy because that's my favorite sport.  Getting back to the gym was a huge relief!

I took this pic on Thursday before I started my workout:



It takes time to regain your fitness, and I'm not going to try rush it. This is a lifestyle for me, not a fad. So I just have to be patient and it'll come back to me soon enough. 

Luckily, I was able to cross train and swim more when I couldn't lift weights. My swimming improved, but I lost some strenght as a tradeoff. 

Truth be told, I think it's best I don't push the weights too hard during the season anyway because it's not my focus. I'll push it hard again when the season's over in September.

My weight training workout's the same pretty much year round. I stick with the basic exercises because I only lift 2x a week and  I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder. 

Here's my routine in order:

Various ab exercises

Dumbell bench presses (chest)

Standing lateral raises (shoulders)

Barbell bent rows (back)

Shoulder presses w/dumbells  (shoulders)

Standing barbell curls w/curl bar (biceps)

Tricep extensions laying in bench
 (triceps)

Planks, crunches, leg raises etc.

2 sets of 8-10 reps works best for me. 



I prefer to use dumbells because I get a greater range of motion and it works more of the smaller muscles also.  




I will start back doing some serious training within the next 2 weeks. Until then, I'll just workout at a lower intensity.

I'm thinking about racing in the School's Out Triathlon on July 25th. It's a sprint:  a 1/3 mile swim, 15 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run. It'll be a great workout and a change of pace from the long races.  

But seeing how we have a MAJOR oil spill in the Gulf and the swim is IN the Gulf, who knows if they'll even have the race??  What a mess!!!! 

My gut feeling is the race will be cancelled. The oil is already in Pensacola  and there's no stopping it unfortunately. I heard from somone that the oil is already in the Atlantic, but it isn't being broadcast as of yet. Not sure if that's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is!! 

That oil spill is affecting everything from wildlife, to tourism, the seafood industry, to triathlon and everything in between.  Speaking of, I wonder what they'll do about the World Championship they have every year in November over in Clearwater Florida?? Unbelievable.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this all plays out...

In the meantime, I'll just keep working out, watching the news and trying to stay positive!

Thanks for reading! Till next time, peace! 

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment