Florida Challenge Triathlon Countdown Clock

Friday, December 24, 2010

The Four F's!

The holiday season is in full swing! That means plenty of good times with family, friends, food and fun! The 4 f's! Lol

I get to enjoy the holidays like everyone else because it's during my off season.   I'm still working out, but my focus has been on lifting weights. I'm  still biking twice  a week on the indoor trainer & swimming once a week though.

I haven't run much since my last race. I've only run maybe 3x since then. I decided to let my knees rest a bit before I resume training by walking instead.  Running is still fun and I miss it, but I know how tough it can be on my legs. There will be plenty time to get my running legs back.  My hope is this layoff helps  and I won't have any knee or feet problems this season!

Until then, my focus is lifting weights! Here's a pic I took at the gym last night. 



Most triathletes don't lift heavy weights as much as I do because that extra muscle means extra weight, and extra weight is not good for triathlon. The lighter you are, the better. 

Personally, I want the best of both worlds. I enjoy lifting the weights, and I enjoy triathlon!  My personal goal is to have a nice combination of strength, muscle mass, and endurance.



This off season has been a challenge because of all the holiday foods everywhere I turn:  Cake for my birthday, pies for thanksgiving and Christmas, donuts at work weekly, etc. etc. etc. I rarely buy junk food. I try to keep it out of the house, cuz if it's in the house I'll eat it! Lol  

Most triathletes refrain from eating junk food, but I still eat it from time to time. Once a month or so I'll treat myself to some fast food like mcdonald's to satisfy my cravings. 

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies everyday, and snack on trail mix to satisfy my sweet tooth. But sometimes you just gotta indulge in that other stuff! Lol For me, moderation is the key, but I have to be careful because the older you are, the harder it is to maintain your weight.

But all in all, this is a time to reflect and to be thankful. I'm happy to still be alive and to even write this blog! I'm also thankful for my family and friends. I'm able to still compete in races and I look forward to another year of challenges, overcoming them, and crossing that finish line!

I'll start training in mid January. I'm going to have my first race of 2011 in April or May. When I make it official I'll really get my focus back. Until then, it's all about enjoying the holidays!

I hope everyone has a safe and blessed holiday season!

Till next time, peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment